what we value
At Treasure Valley.
To understand any organization or movement,
you need to examine its beginning.
The New Testament book of Acts (chapter 2) describes the birth of the Christian church. On the Jewish festival day of Pentecost, what God had promised through the Old Testament prophet Joel and what Jesus had said to wait for dramatically happened. The Holy Spirit was “poured out” upon about 120 people in Jerusalem.
From what happened and from the sermon that the Apostle Peter preached, we see these important things that were to characterize the church both in its nascent inception and its life ever since:
• The centrality of Jesus Christ. He was crucified, resurrected, and then exalted to the right hand of God, and He is both Lord (sovereign God) and Christ (the promised Messiah)
• Worship. The first thing those 120 people did after the Holy Spirit came upon them was to declare the mighty deeds of God – worship – in several languages.
• The church’s inclusiveness. The Gospel message and the church formed from it is for people of all nations and ethnicities, for young and old, and for male and female – equally!
• Judgment and grace. The great and glorious day of the Lord is coming at which time every person will give an account before God, but until then the gospel proclamation is this: “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
• A prophetic community. As the prophet Joel indicated and as the Apostle Peter reaffirmed, we believe that God has called us to be a prophetic community of Spirit-empowered believers! We are to be prophetic both in the sense of standing for truth – in love – in a culture that is searching for a foundation and meaning; and in the sense of hearing and speaking a “now” word from God that will encourage, release, heal, and build up.* We welcome the present manifestation of the Spirit’s gifts as we honor Jesus and extend his ministry to people with both power and grace.
*Valid prophetic gifts are always consistent with and subjected to the final authority of God’s Word revealed in the Bible.